Sunday, August 24, 2008

Just Around the Bend

I'm in a bit of a blogging slump lately, in case you didn't notice. We have been busy trying to enjoy the last few days of summer before hubby starts back to grad school and the boys start Chinese preschool. With my limited energy level these days, that means blogging has been put on hold.

We have had a good summer, full of swimming and visiting family and enjoying having Daddy home without homework. But I am not sad to see it coming to an end. I think the boys and I are ready for a change. I love this time of year. In my mind, Fall instead of Spring is the time of new beginnings. I love the coming of cool mornings, the smell of nature preparing for hibernation, the anticipation of coming holidays, the beginning of new learning, and, most importantly, the opening of college football season!

In preparation, I am trying to get a bit of order back into my life. I have been working my way through A Mother's Rule of Life in an effort to implement more of a schedule into our daily routine. I'll probably write more on it later, but the process has been good for me. I am looking forward to having a little more self-discipline and finding time for prayer, exercise, and quality time with my family. The time is right. Hopefully we will have some routines in place by the time the baby comes. I know they will change, but it will be good to have a foundation.

The boys are in need of more structure, too, and I think school will be good. It has forced us to get their bedtimes into more of a routine, which we needed desperately. Though I am a bit worried about Hobbes going to school, I know that the time apart will be good for all of us. We have had a bit too much time together with no schedule, and we have suffered from impatience and lots of sibling rivalry. Calvin's burgeoning independence has led to a lot of conflict with me, and we are both ready for him to be in a challenging and stimulating environment a couple of mornings a week.

There are a lot of exciting things around the bend, and I am feeling my energy return. Hopefully that means you will hear more from me around here.

What about you? How do you feel about Fall? What are you doing to prepare for the change in seasons?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I too am excited for fall and new beginnings and a little more structure and schedule in life... and I'm not even married w/ kids. September 1st marks the end of tourist season and the beginning of the school year here... so I'll be getting back in a more regular rhythm of teaching, etc and life in my town will switch from crazy tourist destination to quiet, lazy small town again. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for fall-but not the rhythm of school.