Sunday, November 2, 2008

For All The Saints...

I just went back to read my post from All Saints' Day last year. I'm sorry to say that we didn't get around to doing anything special this year, once again. We had such a crazy weekend and an incredibly difficult parenting day yesterday that we were lucky to get to church this morning. (Thank God for the time change!) I was glad we made it. Despite my completely missing the Holy Day, we still managed to get a good dose of it at our service, and I was reminded why I love this day.

The whole service was about the reality of the Kingdom of God and the hope and security that we have in that Kingdom. We sang some of my favorite hymns, and the pastor preached on the freedom from fear that comes from knowing that, ultimately, Christ is King, resurrected and coming back. Those who know Him will also come back, to a Kingdom fulfilled, a life beyond our imaginings. We don't have to fear death or hardships or uncertainty if we live in that truth.

It was a timely message, with the election coming in just two days. Whether you are excited or fearful about the election, the truth is that God is the supreme authority. Our actions may determine the next President, but God already knows whom that will be and what the outcome will be. No President can save our country, neither can he destroy it, outside of God's will. I suppose the message is, do not fear either candidate but also do not hope too much in the power of either candidate to save our messed up country. The only right recipient of our fear and hope is the one who rules over all nations. Makes the election results seem small in comparison.

Be still and know that He is God.

A verse from one of the hymns we sang today. (It's one of my favorites.)

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

1 comment:

Katie W. said...

aah. that's a good one. (can you tell I've been in a cave or something for many weeks and am WAY behind in blog-world!).